Axar.az
UP
17 December 2018


Death toll in Mumbai building collapse rises to 33

Home page Incident
12 Punto 14 Punto 16 Punto 18 Punto

Rescuers in India’s financial capital sifted rubble on Friday in a desperate search for survivors of the collapse of an 117-year-old condemned building, as the toll from the disaster rose to 33.

Axar.az reports citing Reuters that, there was no reliable estimate of those still missing in the second such collapse in a little over a month, which came as Mumbai recovered from two days of floods brought by heavy monsoon rains.

A total of 46 people have been pulled from the rubble since the collapse early on Thursday morning, 33 of whom have been declared dead, the chief fire official said.

“Rescue operations are continuing,” said P.S. Rahangdale, adding that 14 fire and rescue officials had been injured in the effort. “Fire engines, rescue vans and ambulances are still at the site.”

Police have yet to determine what caused the crumbling of the building in a densely-populated area of the city, many of whose residents had stayed on even after authorities declared it unsafe in 2011.

People had been reluctant to leave because they had not received details of alternative housing, some residents of the area said.

Date
2017.09.01 / 11:11
Author
Axar.az
Comments
See also

France braces for 5th week of chaos

10 killed, 80 taken ill after eating food offering at temple

Israeli soldier hurt in W. Bank stone-throwing incident

Moscow court arrests members of underground network

Plane hits runway with tail on takeoff in Russia's Ufa

Turkey orders arrest of 219 soldiers

The politics of a plot to kill Sri Lanka's president

U.S. Green Beret charged with murder of man

Turkey: 9 killed, 47 injured in high-speed train crash

Swedish authorities arrest man

Latest
 
Xocalı soyqırımı — 1992-ci il Bağla
Bize yazin Bağla
ArxivBağla