Axar.az
UP
20 July 2018


Turkish court dismisses case over 2010 Israeli raid

Home page Politics
12 Punto 14 Punto 16 Punto 18 Punto

A Turkish court on Friday dismissed a case brought by victims of an Israeli raid on an aid flotilla that killed 10 people in 2010, said a lawyer for the victims’ families, who stormed out of the courtroom as the judge ordered one co-plaintiff to be ejected.

The judge accepted the prosecutor’s plea that there was no case to examine following a deal in June between Israel and Turkey in which the victims’ families received compensation from Israel and the two countries restored relations.

Israeli-Turkish relations had broken down in 2010 when Turkish pro-Palestinian activists were killed by Israeli commandos enforcing a naval blockade of the Gaza Strip. The soldiers raided a ship, the Mavi Marmara, leading a flotilla towards the Hamas Islamist-run Palestinian territory. The summer’s rare rapprochement in the divided Middle East was driven as much by the prospect of lucrative Mediterranean gas deals as by mutual concern over growing security risks.

Israel, which had already offered apologies for the raid – one of Ankara’s three conditions for a deal – agreed to pay out $20 million to the families of those killed, another key element in the restoration of ties.

Date
2016.12.09 / 22:57
Author
Axar.az
Comments
See also

Washington reluctant to accept results of Russia-US summit

US apologizes for disrupting cyber security consultations

Putin says forces seeking results of Russia-US summit

Putin notes serious risks of escalation in Ukraine

Zakir Hasanov met with Andrzej Kasprzyk

Azerbaijani and Italian FMs met in Baku

Sergio Mattarella: Italy support Karabakh conflict

President of Tajikistan to visit Azerbaijan

Trump accepts US intel assessment on Russian meddling

Italian President arrives in Azerbaijan for official visit

Latest
 
Xocalı soyqırımı — 1992-ci il Bağla
Bize yazin Bağla
ArxivBağla