|Home page Politics|
U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson has confirmed North Korea's claim that it launched an intercontinental ballistic missile overnight.
Axar.az reports citing ABC News.
"The United States strongly condemns North Korea's launch of an intercontinental ballistic missile," Tillerson said in a statement.
"Testing an ICBM represents a new escalation of the threat to the United States, our allies and partners, the region, and the world."
He continued, "Global action is required to stop a global threat. Any country that hosts North Korean guest workers, provides any economic or military benefits, or fails to fully implement UN Security Council resolutions is aiding and abetting a dangerous regime. All nations should publicly demonstrate to North Korea that there are consequences to their pursuit of nuclear weapons."
In his statement, Tillerson confirmed that the Trump administration sought a meeting with the United Nations Security Council, which a spokesperson for Nikki Haley, the U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations, had told ABC News earlier in the day.
"We intend to bring North Korea's provocative action before the UN Security Council and enact stronger measures to hold the DPRK accountable," Tillerson said in a statement. "The United States seeks only the peaceful denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula and the end of threatening actions by North Korea. As we, along with others, have made clear, we will never accept a nuclear-armed North Korea. The President and his national security team are continuing to assess the situation in close coordination with our allies and partners."
The United States Mission to the United Nations confirmed that the Security Council session will be held Wednesday at 3 p.m.
2017.07.05 / 10:24