Axar.az
UP
21 August 2018


Tillerson holds talks in Kuwait to help end GCC crisis

Home page Politics
12 Punto 14 Punto 16 Punto 18 Punto

US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson is holding talks in Kuwait to help seek a resolution to the ongoing Gulf crisis.

Axar.az reports citing Al Jazeera.

During his four-day trip to the Gulf, Tillerson is also expected to visit Qatar and Saudi Arabia.

On Monday evening, the US' top diplomat met with the Emir of Kuwait, Sheikh Sabah al-Ahmad al-Sabah and other senior Kuwaiti officials to discuss the ongoing efforts to resolve the Gulf dispute.

"We are trying to resolve an issue that concerns not just us but the whole world," Sheikh Sabah told Tillerson.

US officials said Tillerson does not expect an immediate breakthrough, which they warned could be months away.

Rather, they said, he wants to explore possibilities for sparking negotiations.

Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Bahrain and Egypt cut ties with Qatar on June 5 and imposed a land, air and sea blockade on the country.

The quartet accuse Qatar of funding "terrorism", an accusation Qatar rejects as "baseless".

On June 22, they issued a 13-point list of demands, including the shutdown of Al Jazeera, limiting ties with Iran and expelling Turkish troops stationed in the country, as a prerequisite to lift the sanctions.

Doha rejected the demands and the countries now consider the list "null and void".

Kuwait is still trying to mediate the dispute.

The US has been supporting Kuwait's mediation efforts, but Tillerson's trip marks a new level of US involvement.

Al Jazeera's Rosiland Jordan, reporting from Kuwait City, said Tillerson was basically visiting each side to "take the temperature in this dispute".

"After some initial missteps from the White House, in which the president seemed to take sides with the Saudis and their allegations, the US' position now is to try to shore up the Kuwait efforts to mediate the crisis and to try to bring some presure from Washington, if it's appropiate," she said.

Senior Tillerson adviser R.C. Hammond said the package of demands, as issued by Qatar's neighbours, was not viable, but said there were individual items on the list "that could work".

Hammond would not elaborate on which demands Qatar could meet, but said concessions from the others would be required.

"This is a two-way street," he said of a dispute among parties who each have been accused of funding "extremists" in some way. "There are no clean hands."

Last month, Tillerson urged the Saudi-led group to ease their blockade on Qatar, saying it is causing unintended humanitarian consequences and affecting the US-led fight against the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL, also known as ISIS) group.

"Our expectation is that these countries will immediately take steps to de-escalate the situation and put forth a good faith effort to resolve the grievances they have with each other," Tillerson said.

More than 11,000 US and coalition forces are stationed at the Al Udeid Air Base in Qatar, from which more than 100 aircraft operate.

Date
2017.07.11 / 10:12
Author
Axar.az
Comments
See also

New status for the Caspian

London’s attempts to dictate policy on Russia to US and EU

Canada adopts first-come family immigration system

US authorities charge 2 Iranians on allegations of spying

FM commented on refusal to issue a visa to a German deputy

Putin, Xi Jinping to meet at Eastern Economic Forum

Najmaddin Sadigov leaves for Belarus

UK Foreign Secretary to urge EU to expand sanctions against Russia

Greece emerges from bailout after 8 years

UN focused on political process in Syria

Latest
 
Xocalı soyqırımı — 1992-ci il Bağla
Bize yazin Bağla
ArxivBağla