Axar.az
UP
26 May 2018


Macron addresses troops after army chief quits

Home page Politics
12 Punto 14 Punto 16 Punto 18 Punto

French President Emmanuel Macron attempted Thursday to mend fences with the military after the resignation of the armed forces chief in a row over budget cuts for which France's new leader has drawn criticism.

General Pierre de Villiers quit on Wednesday after being publicly slapped down by Macron for protesting the government's plans to slash 850 million euros ($980 million) from this year's defence budget.

His resignation capped a week-long spat, during which Macron made clear he would brook no insubordination as commander-in-chief, drawing a mix of criticism and respect.

On Thursday, however, he reassured the troops in person at the Istres air base in southern France that they had his support. De Villiers’ replacement, General François Lecointre, was at Macron's side for much of Thursday's event. Lecointre, 55, is a heroic figure in France due partly because of his role in the now famous Vrbanja Bridge bayonet charge during the Balkans War.

'I know what the nation owes you'

Saying he "deeply respected" the military, which is engaged in operations against jihadists in Syria, Iraq and West Africa while also defending against attacks on home soil, Macron said: "I know what the nation owes you."

He also repeated his promise to hike the defence budget by over a billion euros in 2018, in line with his promise to raise defence spending to 2 percent of GDP -- about 50 billion euros -- by 2025.

Macron said on Thursday, "This increase in the budget, in a year where no other budget except the army's will see an increase, is unprecedented, and I want to you to understand how important this is."

The outgoing de Villiers, a highly respected figure who prided himself on his plain speaking when addressing the government, riled Macron after telling a parliamentary committee last week he would not allow the armed forces to be "screwed".

In a sign of de Villiers' popularity with the rank and file, staff at the defence ministry gave de Villiers a rousing sendoff as he left for the last time on Wednesday, forming a guard of honour amid rapturous applause.

The video of his departure was posted on the official Twitter account of the chiefs of staff with the message: "Thank you".

Date
2017.07.21 / 15:36
Author
Axar.az
Comments
See also

Maduro meets US senator amid flare-up in tensions

Azerbaijan has made extraordinary height of achievements

Georgian envoy hails excellent relations with Turkey

Putin backs Spanish integrity

Myanmar’s finance minister resigns amid probe

Program of French FM’s visit to Azerbaijan announced

Azerbaijan’s parliamentary speaker starts visit to Georgia

Pressuring Erdogan over S-400 won't produce results for US

Governor of the State of Goiás has sent a letter to Baku

UK backs call to hold Russia responsible in MH17 case

Latest
 
Xocalı soyqırımı — 1992-ci il Bağla
Bize yazin Bağla
ArxivBağla