|Home page Society|
Novruz is a traditional holiday, which celebrates the New Year, and the coming of spring in Azerbaijan Republic.
Usually preparation for Novruz begins a month prior to the festival. Each of forthcoming 4 weeks is devoted to one of the four elements and called accordingly in Azerbaijan. Each Tuesday people celebrate the day of one of the four elements - water, fire, earth and wind.
1) People who are at odds or on bad terms reconcile with each other on the day of Novruz.
2) On this holiday people clean their yard, house and clothes.
3) On the eve of Novruz, families visit and decorate the graves of relatives as an act of remembrance.
4) Noruz holiday is rich with ancient traditions and games. 'Khidir Ilyas' the symbol of productivity and blossom),’Kos-Kosa'- funny square game (the symbol of spring's coming) and fortune- telling are among them.
5) Of course, what is Novruz without the delicious foods! Among the many sweets served at each home are pakhlava (baklava), shakarbura (a cookie with nuts and sugar wrapped in dough), and shorgogal (layers of pastry flavored with turmeric and fennel seeds). Tables are set with a large silver or copper tray, with a pot of wheat grass in the center, surrounded by pastries, cookies, dyed eggs, and candles.
6) One of the most popular traditions in Novruz holiday is dropping of the girdle. Mostly children and young people visit homes at dark time and drop girdle to get holiday gifts.
7) There's a holiday tradition to listen to ear fortune telling. It is a tradition to go for listening talks of neighbors at dark time by having kept an intention. The first audible words are commented in accordance with the intention kept. So, beautiful words, hopeful talks should be carried out at homes in the evening of Novruz holiday.
8) In last Wednesday some girls gather in one place and open a ring fortune telling. One dish is taken and water is poured in. Rings are taken out from fingers and put in that vessel. A girl from outside is called. If that girl gives a ring taken from vessel to right owner then all the wishes of the owner of that ring, girl will come true. If a ring is returned to wrong person, then it is put in the thread with needle. If the ring goes straight, that girl will be having no kids, if it shakes to the right-hand side, girl will be having many children, and if to the left side – she will be happy loved guy.
9) The holiday table on this day is very special. It is essential on this day to have seven dishes whose names begin with the letter "s". They are sumakh, skad (milk), sirke (vinegar), samani (aspecial millet porridge), sabzi (greens) etc .Except for the listed dishes there should be a mirror, a candle and a painted egg on the table. All these have a symbolical significance: a candle means light or fire protecting a person from evil spirits. An egg and a mirror are symbolizing the end of the old year and beginning of the first day of the new. Azerbaijanis put the painted egg on the mirror. As soon as the egg moves the New Year begins. Everyone sitting at the table starts wishing a happy new year to each other.
2016.03.15 / 13:32