Axar.az
UP
25 April 2018


UN investigators unearth 17 mass graves in Congo

Home page Society
12 Punto 14 Punto 16 Punto 18 Punto

The United Nations says its investigators have discovered 17 mass graves in the central Democratic Republic of the Congo, increasing the number to 40 documented in an area that witnessed clashes between the army and a local militia.

Axar.az reports that the UN said in a statement issued on Wednesday that the graves were reportedly dug by Congolese army after fighting with Kamuina Nsapu militia in Kasai Central province in late March.

"At least 74 people, including 30 children, were reported to have been killed by soldiers as a result of these clashes," the statement added.

The government has not commented on the report, but it has previously rejected the notion that soldiers have used disproportionate force against militia fighters and claimed the militia had dug the sites.

The Kamuina Nsapu uprising has become the most serious threat to President Joseph Kabila, whose refusal to step down following a defeat in the latest polls stoked chaos in the vast central African country.

Kabila's presidential term expired on December 19, 2016, but ruling officials have effectively prolonged his mandate until 2018, claiming that the government would not be able to arrange elections before then.

Date
2017.04.19 / 19:44
Author
Axar.az
Comments
See also

Swiss dish for N Korea leader at summit

Australian boy, 12, flies to Bali with family's card

YouTube pulls 8.3M objectionable videos with detection

Weather forecast for April 25

Ombudsman Office representatives visit Air Force units

Azerbaijan establishes new medal

Enhanced Nar network is ready for Baku Formula Gran Prix

Duke and Duchess of Cambridge show off new son - Video/Photo

Armenia violated ceasefire 113 times

Head of Yemeni Political Council killed in Saudi strike

Latest
 
Xocalı soyqırımı — 1992-ci il Bağla
Bize yazin Bağla
ArxivBağla