21 March 2018

Turkish military 'dismissed over 20,000' since July 15

Home page World
12 Punto 14 Punto 16 Punto 18 Punto

Over 20,000 people have been dismissed from the Turkish Armed Forces so far for links to the Fetullah Terrorist Organization following the July 15 defeated coup, Defense Minister Fikri Isik said on Thursday.

Among those dismissed are 3,665 army personnel and 16,423 military students, Isik said.

Speaking at a parliamentary meeting in Ankara, the minister added that another 2,855 army personnel remain under investigation over similar allegations.

The minister vowed to fight against "FETO traitors" till the very end and "until there is no single traitor left in Turkish Armed Forces.

"It is a national duty to fight this terrorist organization, this treason network. It is a matter of survival of the Republic of Turkey."

Led by U.S.-based Fetullah Gulen, FETO is accused of orchestrating Turkey’s July 15 coup plot as well as being behind a long-running campaign to overthrow the state through the infiltration of Turkish institutions, particularly the military, police and judiciary.

The July 15 defeated coup left 247 martyred and around 2,200 others wounded.

2016.11.17 / 18:29
See also

UK may be behind ex-spy chemical attack

Israel army refortifying border with Gaza

UN seeks rare labor probe against Venezuela

I would have 'beat the hell out of him': Biden on Trump

Turkish deputy PM points out risks in cryptocurrencies

WH confirms US considers new sanctions against Russia

Questions for London about Skripal’s poisoning keep piling up

Russian, NATO generals agree to meet

Kosovo opposition fires teargas to halt parliament vote

Killing Iran deal sparks war, Merkel warns Netanyahu

Xocalı soyqırımı — 1992-ci il Bağla
Bize yazin Bağla