Axar.az
UP
16 December 2018


Blast hits Pakistan - 6 dead

Home page World
12 Punto 14 Punto 16 Punto 18 Punto

At least six persons were martyred Wednesday morning in a suicide bombing targeting a census team and accompanying security personnel on Lahore's Bedian Road, government and security officials said.

The martyred included four army personnel, Punjab government spokesman Malik Ahmed Khan said, adding that as many as 14 people were injured in the explosion.

Photos from the scene of the attack showed two vans and a motorcycle which were damaged by the explosion.

Security sources said the attack was carried out by a suicide bomber, but it was unclear if the bomber carried out the attack on foot or riding a motorcycle.

"I was standing a hundred steps away from the incident," an eyewitness told Geo News. "I called 112 [Emergency Ambulance Service] which reached the site 20 minutes later."

Rescue teams reached the site soon after the incident was reported, while security personnel cordoned off the area.

No terrorist organisation has so far claimed responsibility for the attack, but Punjab Law Minister Rana Sanaullah said the latest incident appeared to be a terrorist attack. He said Lahore had been on a security high alert and it was regrettable the blast took place despite the alert.

The minister said security concerns would remain until all hideouts of the banned terrorist outfit Jamaat ul Ahrar were destroyed.

"Jamaat ul Ahrar has claimed all the recent terrorist attacks in Lahore so far," Sanaullah said, adding that the perpetrators of Wednesday's attack would soon be found.

The minister also expressed concern over the presence of terrorist hideouts in Afghanistan and claimed many terrorist attacks in Pakistan were being planned from Nangarhar area of Afghanistan.

He vowed that terrorism would be exterminated from the country and the census process would be completed at all costs.

Earlier on February 23, a blast in Lahore's upscale area Defence Housing Authority (DHA) claimed at least eight lives and injured 30 people.

Date
2017.04.05 / 09:59
Author
Axar.az
Comments
See also

Russian parliamentary delegation visit to Moldova

"Obamacare struck down as unconstitutional disaster"

EU leaders call for enhancing bloc’s strategic autonomy

Nigeria reverses suspension of UNICEF operations

Turkey to continue anti-terror...

Traffic disrupted in Paris, police take up positions

11 die, more than 90 fall sick after eating temple food

Romania says EU working on conference

Qatar says counts on Kuwait

Macron was wrong considering climate change

Latest
 
Xocalı soyqırımı — 1992-ci il Bağla
Bize yazin Bağla
ArxivBağla