|Home page World|
gunman opened fire on French police Thursday on Paris' best-known boulevard, killing one officer and wounding two others before being fatally shot himself in an incident that raised the specter of renewed terrorism just three days before voters go to the polls to elect a new president.
The Islamic State, through its affiliated Amaq news agency, quickly claimed responsibility for the attack, which sent panicked pedestrians fleeing into side streets and prompted police to seal off the renowned Champs-Elysee, close metro stations and order tourists back into their hotels. The terrorist organization said the attack was carried out by a Belgian national it identified only as Abu Yusuf al-Baljiki, a pseudonym.
There was no immediate confirmation that the Islamic State was behind the shooting. French officials declined to attach a motive to the attack, although they said police were deliberately targeted and that they were opening a terrorism investigation.
A European security official told The Washington Post that the dead attacker was known to French intelligence, having previously come to authorities' attention for radical Islamist links. Two officials said the gunman used an AK-47 assault rifle in the attack.
The French Interior Ministry said one police officer was killed on the spot and two others were "seriously wounded" when the gunman opened fire on a police car. The ministry said security forces gunned down the attacker as he tried to flee the scene on foot.
2017.04.21 / 10:36