UP

UK welcomes Qatar's call for 'dialogue' in Gulf crisis

Home page World
12 Punto 14 Punto 16 Punto 18 Punto
UK welcomes Qatar's call for 'dialogue' in Gulf crisis

Britain’s government has welcomed a statement by Qatar’s emir saying his country is “ready to resolve disagreements” and “for dialogue.”

Axar.az reports citing AA.

“I welcome the Emir of Qatar’s commitment to combat terrorism in all its manifestations, including terrorist financing,” Britain’s Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson said in a statement on Sunday.

“The Emir also pledged to resolve the remaining differences with Saudi Arabia, UAE, Egypt and Bahrain through dialogue, negotiation, and Kuwaiti mediation. These steps will help to resolve the dispute,” Johnson added.

Describing the Gulf crisis as a “pre-planned” plot against his country, Qatari Emir Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad al Thani said on Friday: “We are ready to resolve all these disagreements and for dialogue.”

He underlined a dialogue “built on the independence” of the parties and “respect.”

Johnson said Britain hopes that “in turn Saudi Arabia, UAE, Egypt and Bahrain respond by taking steps towards lifting the embargo,” and that “this will allow substantive discussions on remaining differences to begin.”

“The U.K. will continue to engage our partners in the region to help them reach a solution, including assisting Kuwait’s important efforts in whatever way we can,” Johnson added.

Prime Minister Theresa May had previously urged the leaders of Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, and the United Arab Emirates to take steps to reduce tensions in the region

Saudi Arabia, Egypt, the UAE, and Bahrain cut diplomatic ties with Qatar last month, and imposed a sea and land blockade while accusing Doha of supporting terrorism. Doha denies the accusation of terrorism and contends the blockade is a violation of international law.

Al Thani last week also thanked Turkey for "putting into force quickly a cooperation agreement signed between us and meeting our basic needs."

Turkey’s parliament in June ratified two deals to deploy troops to Qatar and train its army. A ship carrying aid and 4,000 tons of food for Qatar left Turkey the same month.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan meanwhile arrived on Sunday in the Saudi city of Jeddah on the first leg of his Gulf tour, which will also include Kuwait and Qatar.

The emir also voiced appreciation for Kuwait mediating between the parties. “We hope these efforts will result in success,” he said, adding that he values the support of the U.S., France, Britain, Russia and Germany for efforts to resolve the crisis.

Date
2017.07.23 / 23:39
Author
Axar.az
See also

Israel deports all foreign Sumud flotilla activists

Iran, US move closer to potential ceasefire deal

Lukashenko, Putin observe joint nuclear forces exercise

NATO chief reaffirms security commitment to Latvia

Turkish court suspends CHP leadership in major ruling

Syria to attend G7 summit in France as guest nation

UK summons Israeli chargé d’affaires over detainee video

Ukraine unveils Begemot strike UAV - Photo

WUF13 roundtable focuses on civil society and housing

Ukrainian army losses updated on 1,548th day of war

Latest
Xocalı soyqırımı — 1992-ci il Bağla
Bize yazin Bağla
ArxivBağla