Axar.az
UP
25 February 2018


Germany expels 27 Afghans, ignoring protests

Home page World
12 Punto 14 Punto 16 Punto 18 Punto

Germany expels 27 Afghan men, despite fierce protests from opponents who say it is not safe to return them to war-torn Afghanistan.

Axar.az reports citing Press TV.

"This morning, 27 people were returned to Afghanistan," the German Interior Ministry announced on Twitter on Thursday.

They include 17 who have been convicted of crimes, two who are deemed "dangerous individuals" and eight who have "stubbornly refused to give their real identities," it said.

The men left Germany late Wednesday from Frankfurt airport, where around 600 people had gathered to demonstrate against the expulsions.

Despite the criticism, German Interior Minister Thomas de Maiziere vowed to press on with sending back "dangerous individuals, criminals and those who refuse to give their real identities."

After more than a million asylum seekers arrived in Germany since 2015, Chancellor Angela Merkel's government came under pressure to halt the influx.

With public unease mounting over the new arrivals, Berlin struck deals, including with Turkey, to dissuade would-be refugees from trying to reach Germany.

Last year, Germany signed a deal with Kabul to repatriate Afghans who had failed to obtain asylum, and began expelling people in December 2016.

The government maintains that certain areas of Afghanistan are "safe" for repatriations, though it suspended deportations for a few months after a truck bomb ripped through the diplomatic district in Kabul in May, killing an Afghan guard at the German Embassy and wounding two employees.

But it has since resumed the expulsions despite meeting with strong public resistance.

Around 200 students staged a sit-in in May at a vocational school in Nuremberg and clashed with police who came to detain for deportation a 20-year-old Afghan student who had been in the country for over four years.

In the first nine months of the year, 222 expulsion bids had to be scrapped because pilots refused to fly the planes, German news agency DPA reported.

Eighty-five of the 222 aborted flights were operated by national carrier Lufthansa or its subsidiary Eurowings.

Date
2017.12.07 / 19:14
Author
Axar.az
Comments
See also

Campaigning begins in Egypt’s presidential race

Armenia violated ceasefire 114 times

UN secretary general hopes for immediate ceasefire in Syria

Turkey welcomes UNSC decision for cease-fire in Syria

Arab League says relocation of US embassy 'provocation'

Italy's League rallies as tense election campaign winds up

Former Hamas political chief slams US embassy move

Taliban's overnight raid kills 18 Afghan soldiers

E. Ghouta attacks 'crimes against humanity': Qatar emir

Florida survivor to Melania: Stop Trump Jr. bullying

Latest
 
Xocalı soyqırımı — 1992-ci il Bağla
Bize yazin Bağla
ArxivBağla