|Home page World|
Afghanistan has ordered a beef-up of security in the western province of Farah as more and more troops are deployed to counter a rising threat of Taliban.
Axar.az reports citing Press TV.
Defense ministry spokesman Dawlat Waziri said on Wednesday that more forces were being deployed to Farah after an attack earlier in the day that killed members of the Afghan special forces.
“We have sent more troops and commando forces to Farah to contain the situation ... The situation will soon come under control,” Waziri said, adding that the decision came after a visit to Farah by the Afghan army chief of staff.
Farah, which borders Iran, has gained more significance for Taliban as the government plans to build a multi-billion-dollar pipeline in the province, which also involves Turkmenistan, Pakistan and India. The province has been the scene of several high-profile attacks in the recent past.
Seven members of Afghan security forces were killed in the early hours of Wednesday when Taliban militants stormed a checkpoint manned by police and intelligence officers. Jamila Amini, a member of the Farah provincial council, said that four members of the National Directorate of Security, Afghanistan's spy agency, and three policemen were killed in the attack, which was carried out on the outskirts of the provincial capital of the same name. Amini said Taliban militants retreated from the position after commando forces were deployed.
Eight police officers were killed in a similar attack by Taliban in Farah's Anar Dara district on Monday. Militants briefly took control of the administrative building in the area before they were pushed back by security forces. Dozens of people have also been killed in a number of attacks in Farah’s Bala Buluk district in recent weeks.
2018.03.14 / 20:29