UP

Taliban fighters double as reporters to wage digital war

Home page Army
12 Punto 14 Punto 16 Punto 18 Punto

Zabihullah Mujahid, the Taliban’s chief spokesman and editor-in-chief of the insurgent group’s daily news bulletin, starts every day by collecting reports of overnight fighting with U.S. and Afghan forces.

Axar.az reports citing Reuters that, Mujahid says he gets his team of writers to cross-check facts shared by some of the hardline Islamist groups fighters, who double as reporters in the 34 provinces across the country. The writers prepare press statements in five languages and gather footage and photographs shot on smartphones.

The editor-in-chief then approves final drafts of the reports - highlighting the group’s claimed victories in its war aimed at toppling the U.S.-backed Afghan government - before they are published by IT specialists based outside the country.

While some Afghan journalists say its accuracy is patchy, and its opponents accuse it of spreading “fake news”, the Taliban’s slick media operation has emerged as a key weapon in the information war that often leaves the Western-backed government and its U.S. partners struggling to catch up.

Last month, for example the Taliban was swift to deny involvement in a suicide attack on the communications ministry in Kabul later blamed on Islamic State, while information from the government was slower to emerge.

Taliban spokesmen say they have also stepped up their outreach as the pace of direct talks between its negotiators and the United States on ending the war in Afghanistan has picked up in recent months. They are often quicker than U.S. officials to give their read-out from the talks - the sixth round of which wrapped up in Qatar on Thursday.

“Whatever developments occur during the Doha talks, we share it with journalists,” said Mujahid, adding that the messages were aimed at domestic and international audiences.

Date
2019.05.11 / 14:59
Author
Axar.az
See also

Azerbaijani troops head to Turkiye for Commando training

Defense Ministry releases weekly summary - Video

Defense Ministry releases weekly review - Video

Armenian armed forces once again resort to provocations

Defense Ministry publishes weekly review - Video

Defense Ministry presents review of events - Video

Defense Ministry releases weekly review - Video

Azerbaijan Army serviceman awarded in the United Kingdom

Azerbaijan Defense Ministry releases weekly review - Video

Azerbaijan's Defense Ministry holds official meeting

Latest
Xocalı soyqırımı — 1992-ci il Bağla
Bize yazin Bağla
ArxivBağla