UP

Evacuation deal reached for 4 besieged Syria towns

Home page World
12 Punto 14 Punto 16 Punto 18 Punto
Evacuation deal reached for 4 besieged Syria towns

4 Syrian towns that have been under crippling siege for more than two years are to be evacuated under a deal reached late on Tuesday, a monitoring group said.

Residents of Zabadani and Madaya, two towns near Damascus under siege by regime forces, will leave their homes in return for the evacuation of Fuaa and Kafraya, two mainly Shiite towns in the northwest Syria, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said.

Observatory chief Rami Abdel Rahman said the deal was brokered by Qatar and Iran.

Sixty thousand civilians are trapped in the four besieged towns, suffering from violence and deprivation, where malnutrition and lack of proper medical care are at a critical level. The last UN humanitarian access to the towns of Zabadani, Fuaa, Kafraya and Madaya was last November.

Syria has been locked in a vicious civil war since early 2011, when the regime of Bashar al-Assad cracked down on pro-democracy protests-which erupted as part of the Arab Spring uprisings-with unexpected ferocity.

Since then, more than a quarter of a million people have been killed and more than 10 million displaced across the war-torn country, according to the UN, but the Syrian Center for Policy Research puts the death toll at more than 470,000

Date
2017.03.29 / 22:29
Author
Axar.az
See also

Iran says it does not interfere in Iraq’s internal affairs

Russian strike damages Aurora distribution center

Syria weighs joining Mecca defense pact

Ukraine strikes Yeysk port in Russia

Four injured in drone attack on Ozon logistics center - Video

Trump calls Strait of Hormuz ‘American territory’

At least 16 killed in Russian drone strike on Kryvyi Rih

Russian missile strike kills railway worker in Kyiv

Russia has no navy in Mediterranean for first time in decade

Two killed in plane crash in Croatia

Latest
Xocalı soyqırımı — 1992-ci il Bağla
Bize yazin Bağla
ArxivBağla