UP

20 migrants die at sea, rescues ongoing

Home page World
12 Punto 14 Punto 16 Punto 18 Punto
20 migrants die at sea, rescues ongoing

At least 20 dead bodies have been seen in the sea some 30 miles off the coast of Libya, Italy's Coast Guard said on Wednesday, as efforts to rescue some 1,700 people packed onto 15 boats continued.

Axar.az reports citing Reuters.

"About 200 people fell into the water when one of the boats listed dangerously," Coast Guard Commander Cosimo Nicastro told Reuters. "At least 20 dead bodies were spotted in the water."

Co-founder of humanitarian rescue group MOAS, Chris Catrambone, said on Twitter that many corpses had been brought on board their ship, and that toddlers were among the dead seen in the water.

The Coast Guard is calling in more ships to help with rescues, Nicastro said. Apart from the MOAS vessel, a tug boat was assisting in rescues coordinated by the Italian Coast Guard in Rome.

Date
2017.05.24 / 14:58
Author
Axar.az
See also

Former Turkish transport minister’s grave to be exhumed

UAE air defense detects missile threat targeting country

Abdullah Gul hails law on Kurdish issue as new opening

Ukrainian army losses updated on 1,637th day of war

Trump says no talks scheduled with Iran

Syria arrests senior ISIS leader in Aleppo - Photo

Two prisoners executed in Iran’s Shiraz

Iran official responds to Trump’s Strait of Hormuz post

US ambassador criticizes Israeli strikes on Syrian airbase

Pashinyan meets with U.S. Congressman Abraham Hamadeh

Latest
Xocalı soyqırımı — 1992-ci il Bağla
Bize yazin Bağla
ArxivBağla