UP

Berlin officials under fire over 3 prison breaks

Home page World
12 Punto 14 Punto 16 Punto 18 Punto
Berlin officials under fire over 3 prison breaks

Berlin authorities came under fire Tuesday after a single city prison was hit by three jailbreaks or walkouts in a week, with five inmates still on the run.

Axar.az reports citing AFP.

Tabloid-style Bild daily labeled the security lapses "incomprehensible", city-state politicians urged the justice minister to step down, and Twitter users mocked the penal facility's "open door" policy.

The first group escape saw four inmates aged 27 to 38 flee last Thursday from the Ploetzensee jail facility, now widely dubbed the capital's "scandal prison."

The convicts doing time for theft, extortion and aggravated assault were able to use an angle grinder and a huge hammer from their prison workshop to break out through a ventilation shaft before slipping underneath a fence to freedom.

A perimeter surveillance camera captured their escape, but wardens did not view the footage in real time and took 41 minutes to sound the alarm.

On Friday it emerged during a head-count that a fifth prisoner, aged 30, had failed to return from day release on Thursday.

And on Monday morning, New Year's Day, it was learned that two more prisoners had slipped out overnight through a cell window, with one, however, reporting back hours later.
The pair had been held under an open-prison policy that allows detainees to go to work during the day but obliges them to spend nights behind bars.

"They could have left the prison the next morning by simply walking out through the front door," a Berlin city administration spokesman told national news agency DPA.

Conservative opposition lawmaker Burkard Dregger attacked the "dilettante" approach of Berlin's justice minister Dirk Behrendt and called for his resignation.

Behrendt tweeted later Tuesday that one of the initial four escapees had just turned himself in, accompanied by a lawyer, and added that he would "now be transferred to a higher-security prison."

Date
2018.01.02 / 21:19
Author
Axar.az
See also

Ukrainian army losses updated on 1,549th day of war

Rutte confirms Zelensky's invitation to NATO summit

Starobilsk college strike death toll rises to six

UN warns over Afghan women’s rights decree

Kemak Kilicdaroglu returns as CHP leader

Russia captured Verkhnyaya Tersa in Zaporizhzhia

UFO files: 13 fighter jets chased flying object

US says IRGC officers operating inside Lebanon

Stavros Floros declared symbolic champion of Survivor

EU will return to buying Russian gas once war ends

Latest
Xocalı soyqırımı — 1992-ci il Bağla
Bize yazin Bağla
ArxivBağla