UP

Trump approves Turkish offer for joint S-400 study group

Home page World
12 Punto 14 Punto 16 Punto 18 Punto
Trump approves Turkish offer for joint S-400 study group

US President Donald Trump has accepted an offer to form a joint technical study group with Turkey to investigate Washington's concerns over Ankara's purchase of the Russian-made S-400 missile system, Middle East Eye has learned.

Axar.az reports citing foreign media that according to several Turkish officials, Trump, in a phone call with Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan on Wednesday, overruled the Pentagon and the State Department who had been against the study group.

US officials were concerned that Ankara's purchase of the missile system would put advanced stealth F-35 fighter jets, which Turkey has also ordered, at risk because Moscow could steal sensitive information through the system's radar.

Confident their assessment on the dangers posed by the missile system, US defence officials had refused to participate in the study group multiple times over the course of the past two months.

In a single phone call, that policy changed.

The White House and the US Defense Department did not return MEE's enquiries on the subject.

Date
2019.05.31 / 13:21
Author
Axar.az
See also

Kazakhstan Kurultai election turnout exceeds 72%

Russia faces gasoline shortage, but diesel supply stable

Zelenskiy says Russia plans to mobilise 300,000 troops

Putin demands forecast on end of Russia’s fuel crisis

Zelensky says Russia has up to 630 ballistic missiles

Tokayev: Too early to discuss another presidential term

Armenian soldier found dead with gunshot wound

Pakistan army chief to visit Tehran on Monday

Iran-linked hackers shut down UK power plant for four days

Zelensky holds talks with Finnish, Latvian and Swedish PMs

Latest
Xocalı soyqırımı — 1992-ci il Bağla
Bize yazin Bağla
ArxivBağla