UP

Trump illegal migrant raids to start on day one - US

Home page World
12 Punto 14 Punto 16 Punto 18 Punto

Raids to detain and deport migrants living in the US without permission are set to begin on the first full day of the new Trump administration.

Axar.az reports that the operations - threatened by Donald Trump's "border tsar" Tom Homan - could begin in Chicago, a city with a large migrant population, as early as Tuesday, the New York Times and Wall Street Journal say.

Trump has said he will oversee the largest deportation program in US history.

In an interview with Fox News this week, Homan promised a "big raid" across the country. He has previously said Chicago will be "ground zero" for the mass deportations.

The Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agency deports illegal migrants all the time. However, the operation it is expected to launch after Trump's inauguration on Monday is expected to target so-called "sanctuary" cities that limit cooperation with federal immigration officials.

Along with Chicago, New York City and Los Angeles are among the scores of US cities that have adopted "sanctuary" policies.

"January 21st, you're going to look for a lot of ICE agents in your city looking for criminals and gang members," Homan told a Republican gathering in Chicago last month. "Count on it. It will happen."

Date
2025.01.18 / 19:14
Author
Axar.az
See also

29 killed, 100+ injured in Gaza school shelling

Trump's approval drops to 43%

Elon Musk: Health deteriorated, plans recovery

Hakan Fidan meets Ukrainian FM in Brussels

Pentagon: Russia preparing for long-term conflict

EU to supply Ukraine with 2 million missiles

Russia updates Ukraine losses

Zelensky: Ceasefire possible soon

Netanyahu thanks Orban over ICC move

Israel is open to diplomacy on Iran's nuclear threat

Latest
Xocalı soyqırımı — 1992-ci il Bağla
Bize yazin Bağla
ArxivBağla