|Home page Politics|
Axar.az presents an interview with Russian analyst and historian Oleg Kuznetsov.
- The spokesperson for the Foreign Ministry of Azerbaijan Hikmat Hajiyev said that the Russian Foreign Ministry spokesman will appeal to Moscow for a meeting with Karabakh separatists in Abkhazia and that this meeting does not serve peace in the region. This unofficial and harsh response of the Russian Foreign Ministry Spokeswoman Maria Zakharova has shown Russia's increasing concern over Yerevan in recent days. Do you think Kremlin has increased its support to official Yerevan after Pashinyan came to power?
- I would hesitate to judge the events you are describing. But in reality, it would be naive to expect that the military conflict would have another reaction to the increasingly aggressive actions of the participating state: the position of the official Baku and the Azerbaijani media reflects the concern of your people for the current situation in Moscow and Yerevan.
- Moreover, the introduction of Tor2 systems to Armenia has begun. As a result, claims on Nakhchivan are already voiced in Yerevan and our soldier is killed in the direction of Nakhchivan.
- In my opinion, the biggest threat to the situation in the South Caucasus region is the fact that the Azerbaijani army serviceman was killed in Nakhchivan. Thus, the front line in this area is the state border between Azerbaijan and Armenia. This incident is examined from an international system based on Moscow and Kars Treaties of 1921, which regulates the state borders. For this reason, the threat of new Russia and Turkey's involvement in the conflict is on the agenda (in fact, this danger has always existed - O.K.). In this case, it will become inevitable that these countries will support the conflicting parties. Accordingly, Turkey will help Azerbaijan and Russia to Armenia. From the beginning of the year, I have always made statements that the official Iravan, which was backed up by the US political elite, made serious efforts. Their main purpose is to prevent Russia and Turkey's rapprochement, to keep Turkey in NATO and deepen Russia's international isolation. Today Armenia is against Russia, but unfortunately, Moscow does not understand it.
- Is Moscow likely to change its approach to the Karabakh problem?
- My answer is negative. During the whole period of the conflict, Russia's position was "neither war nor peace", and this position would remain unchanged. This gives the military-political advantage to Yerevan.
But recently, other military-political factors that have not been brought to Moscow have already begun to influence, and that's why the Kremlin's position must be changed. Otherwise, the Kremlin is facing another defeat in the diplomatic field.
2018.05.23 / 16:07