Axar.az
UP
24 November 2017


US-led coalition strikes kill 9 civilians in Raqqah

Home page World
12 Punto 14 Punto 16 Punto 18 Punto

A pro-opposition monitoring group says at least nine civilians have been killed in airstrikes by the US-led coalition purportedly fighting the Takfiri ISIS terrorist group in Syria.

Axar.az reports citing Press TV.

The so-called Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said on Wednesday that the air raids hit the Albu Saraya alley in the Old City of Raqqah. The report said tens of civilians were also injured.

The coalition has been conducting airstrikes against what are said to be ISIS positions inside Syria since September 2014, without any authorization from the Damascus government or a UN mandate. The alliance led by Washington has repeatedly been accused of targeting and killing civilians. It has also been largely incapable of fulfilling its declared aim of destroying ISIS.

On Tuesday, at least 60 civilians lost their lives in similar strikes in Dayr al-Zawr province.

Syria's official SANA news agency reported on Wednesday that Damascus had asked the UN Security Council to hold accountable the United States and members of the international coalition for the death of civilians.

In two letters addressed to UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres and the president of the Security Council, the Syrian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Expatriates complained that the coalition targeted civilians and the country’s infrastructure, referring to the Tuesday attacks. The ministry added that the coalition hits those who fight terrorism.

Separately, the observatory said the ISIS terrorists had chemical weapons in their possession in the areas that are still under their control in Raqqah.

The report added that terrorists planned to use the weapons when the battle over the city approached its end and the US-backed Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) continued to advance in the city.

ISIS captured Raqqah in July 2014 and declared the city its stronghold in Syria.

The SDF forces have retaken more than half of Raqqah from ISIS over the past eight weeks, the observatory said.

Syria has been fighting different foreign-sponsored militant and terrorist groups since March 2011. UN Special Envoy for Syria Staffan de Mistura estimated last August that more than 400,000 people had been killed in the crisis until then.

Date
2017.08.02 / 23:59
Author
Axar.az
Comments
loading...
See also

Putin offers condolences to Egyptian president

Armenia and EU sign an agreement

15 militants are killed involved in attack in Sinai Mosque

May describes Russia as 'hostile state' at EU summit

State Duma building being checked following bomb call

US, allies take disproportionate actions on Korea

Craziest Black Friday moments - Video

Thousands celebrate Prime Minister Hariri's return

Church of Sweden drops male god for the sake of inclusion

Belarus to discuss Eurasian and European integration

Latest
 
Xocalı soyqırımı — 1992-ci il Bağla
Bize yazin Bağla
ArxivBağla