UP

8 dead after boat capsizes in Indonesia

Home page World
12 Punto 14 Punto 16 Punto 18 Punto
8 dead after boat capsizes in Indonesia

A speedboat carrying 45 passengers capsized Monday in Sesayap River in northern Indonesia leaving eight people dead and six others missing.

Axar.az reports citing AA.

Director of Marine and Coastal Guard Unity, Capt. Jhonny R. Silalahi said 31 survivors had been rescued and eight bodies recovered in North Borneo province.

"We continue the search for those missing and are shifting the injured to the nearest hospital," Silalahi said in a statement.

Anugrah Ekspress set sail Monday morning from Tanjung Selor but crashed into a tree trunk 10 minutes into the journey and capsized.

Police is investigating the incident, Silahi said.

Indonesia's waterways serve as a widespread form of transportation in some areas of the archipelago, where accidents resulting from overcrowded boats and lax safety standards are common.

Last January, 23 people were killed when a fire broke out on a ship carrying tourists from the capital Jakarta to the resort Tidung Island.

Date
2018.01.01 / 15:59
Author
Axar.az
See also

Ukraine strikes Russia’s Metafrax chemicals plant

Iran, U.S. agree on principles for new nuclear deal

Russia updates Ukrainian military losses

Iran rehires 10,000 retired teachers to address shortage

Khamenei says even rioters are “our children”

France releases Russia ‘shadow fleet’ tanker after fine

Orban accuses Ukraine of funding Hungarian opposition

EU Commissioner for Enlargement to visit Armenia

Third round of Russia-Ukraine talks began

Three killed in blast at military facility in Russia

Latest
Xocalı soyqırımı — 1992-ci il Bağla
Bize yazin Bağla
ArxivBağla