UP

Duterte: We cannot end Philippines’ drug problem

Home page World
12 Punto 14 Punto 16 Punto 18 Punto
Duterte: We cannot end Philippines’ drug problem

The Philippines’ President Rodrigo Duterte has once again admitted that his government cannot afford to eradicate drug smuggling in the country.

Axar.az reports that “We can’t control it,” Duterte said the drug problem in a speech to medics at the Southern Philippines Medical Center in Davao City on Friday.

He claimed that no country had the resources to control ubiquitous drugs.

“Others can’t do it. How can we?” he asked the group of medical practitioners from his hometown.

He said the country’s long coastline and thousands of islands had made the control of drugs smuggling difficult.

“We do not have the equipment” to monitor the entire coastlines, he said.

Earlier this week, Duterte had complained that he lacked enough time to resolve the issue. The drugs problem “cannot be solved by one man for a president for one term,” he said on Wednesday.

Duterte had vowed to end the drug problem in three to six months when he became president last year. He often tacitly encouraged police to take a tough stance in dealing with suspects, and allegations soon emerged that police, on his implicit instructions, were exercising a policy of shoot-to-kill.

The controversial anti-narcotics campaign was met with much opposition from local and international human rights groups after it started in July last year.

Government data shows that 3,400 suspects have died in the fight on drugs since then.

Human rights groups put that number at more than 9,000.

The war on drugs gradually began to receive less attention, however, as the country found itself in a another fight — against the Takfiri ISIS terrorists — in the south.

Date
2017.08.13 / 11:39
Author
Axar.az
See also

Russia captured Orekhovatka and Krasnopolye

Israel kills Islamic Jihad commander in Gaza

Russia shot down Ukrainian MiG-29

Houthis claim drone attack on Saudi Aramco refinery

Eight Israeli airstrikes hit Syrian airbase

10,000 people left without power in Moscow

Russian ambassador summoned over anti-Azerbaijan remarks

Araghchi: Nothing justifies attack on Barzani’s office

Trump says South Korea should pay $10 billion for defense

Russian military losses updated on day 1637

Latest
Xocalı soyqırımı — 1992-ci il Bağla
Bize yazin Bağla
ArxivBağla