UP

Coronavirus pandemic 'a long way from over': Tedros

Home page World
12 Punto 14 Punto 16 Punto 18 Punto
Coronavirus pandemic 'a long way from over': Tedros

Confusion and complacency in addressing COVID-19 means the pandemic is a long way from over, but it can be brought under control in months with proven public health measures, WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said on Monday.

Axar.az reports that this was reported by foreign media.

“We too want to see societies and economies reopening, and travel and trade resuming,” Tedros told a news briefing.

“But right now, intensive care units in many countries are overflowing and people are dying – and it’s totally avoidable.”

“The COVID19 pandemic is a long way from over. But we have many reasons for optimism. The decline in cases and deaths during the first two months of the year shows that this virus and its variants can be stopped,” he added, saying transmission was being driven by “confusion, complacency and inconsistency in public health measures.”

India has overtaken Brazil to become the nation with the second highest number of infections worldwide after the United States, as it battles a massive second wave, having given about 105 million vaccine doses among a population of 1.4 billion.

WHO team leader on COVID-19 Maria van Kerkove told the news briefing the pandemic was growing exponentially, with a 9% increase in cases last week, the seventh consecutive week of increases, and a 5% rise in deaths.

Date
2021.04.12 / 22:35
Author
Axar.az
See also

Pirates hijack two ships carrying 22 Indians

Zelensky sanctions ‘Masha and the Bear’ creators

US sanctions 10 over Hizballah cash-smuggling network

Bessen: Major US military actions against Iran unlikely

Death toll in Zimbabwe ferry accident rises to 97

US approves possible $4.5B sale of KC-46A tankers to Qatar

Seven countries condemn Israel’s E1 settlement plan

Iran condemns new US sanctions as economic terrorism

Drone debris sparks fire at Kyiv business center

47 killed in boat capsizing in northwestern Nigeria

Latest
Xocalı soyqırımı — 1992-ci il Bağla
Bize yazin Bağla
ArxivBağla