Axar.az
UP
22 July 2018


EU to decide on Turkey accession next year

Home page World
12 Punto 14 Punto 16 Punto 18 Punto

The Estonian foreign minister, whose country holds the European Union’s six-month rotating presidency, says any decision to end Turkey’s bid to join the continental bloc would not be made this year.

Axar.az reports citing Press TV.

Sven Mikser said Thursday that if the EU is to decide to cease Turkey’s years-long accession talks, it should wait for an assessment by the European Commission, the executive arm of the EU which monitors Turkey’s compliance with membership criteria. Mikser added that a commission assessment was expected early next year.

“I do not expect the European Union to make any decisions in that regard during this year,” he said at a meeting of EU foreign ministers in Tallinn.

The comments come after German Chancellor Angela Merkel said last week during her campaign to win a fourth term in power that she would call on the EU to terminate Turkey's accession talks. That came after Turkey arrested two more German nationals over alleged links to last year’s coup attempt.

Ankara and Berlin have locked horns since the last July coup attempt in Turkey.

Germany has been critical of Turkey’s handling of the aftermath of the coup, which has seen more than 150,000 people arrested or discharged from jobs, while Ankara accuses Berlin of supporting the opponents of the Turkish government.

Turkey, a member of the NATO military alliance, is of significance to the EU, especially when it comes to the refugee crisis which has gripped Europe since 2015.

Merkel led the EU talks with Turkey on a historic agreement in March 2016 on relocation of refugees. Ankara has warned at times of heightened tensions with the EU that it would rescind the deal.

Date
2017.09.07 / 21:29
Author
Axar.az
Comments
See also

Google Maps user zooms in on female tourists– gets surprise

UN chief urges Israel, Hamas to step back from conflict

Pakistan: Key Sharif party leader gets life term

Putin, Macron discuss implementation of joint initiative

Over 7,000 victims of Bosnian war still missing

Coalition planes conduct air strike on civilians

Azerbaijan marks 143rd anniversary of national press

Trump’s trade war a ‘double-edged sword’

India: Muslim man lynched on suspicion of cow smuggling

1st evacuation convoy from Quneitra arrives in Idlib

Latest
 
Xocalı soyqırımı — 1992-ci il Bağla
Bize yazin Bağla
ArxivBağla