UP

8 killed in northeastern Nigeria

Home page World
12 Punto 14 Punto 16 Punto 18 Punto
8 killed in northeastern Nigeria

An explosion targeted a passenger-filled taxi in northeastern Nigeria's largest city on Wednesday, killing eight people in the deadliest bombing there in several months, officials said.

According to AP, the National Emergency Management Agency said in a statement that 15 people had been hospitalized with injuries.

No one immediately claimed responsibility for the blast.

The blast occurred as the taxi approached a gas station in the outskirts of Maiduguri. The bodies of victims were sprawled on the ground next to the bombed-out vehicle as officials inspected the area.

It was unclear if a bomb had been planted in the taxi or if a passenger detonated explosives.

President Muhammadu Buhari recently painted an optimistic picture of the military campaign against Boko Haram. In a speech on Oct. 1 marking the anniversary of the country's independence from Britain, he said the insurgent group "was defeated" in December and that residents of the northeast enjoyed "relative safety" as they went about their daily lives.

Date
2016.10.13 / 01:58
Author
Axar.az
See also

Iran’s foreign minister says he will meet IAEA director

8 dead, 2 injured after fireworks store blast in China

Trump, Netanyahu agree to increase pressure on Iranian oil

Carney constructs a mega anti-Trump trade alliance

The 1,000 tonnes of uranium in the crosshairs of Isis

Rubio calls report on Navalny poisoning ‘troubling’

Trump told Netanyahu he would support Israeli strikes on Iran

Netanyahu: Israel ranks second among global cyber powers

Indonesia readies 1,000 troops for peacekeeping force in Gaza

Abbas Araghchi to attend talks with US in Geneva

Latest
Xocalı soyqırımı — 1992-ci il Bağla
Bize yazin Bağla
ArxivBağla