UP

Assad forces breaking ceasefire

Home page World
12 Punto 14 Punto 16 Punto 18 Punto
Assad forces breaking ceasefire

Syrian regime forces and foreign terrorist groups supporting Bashar al-Assad have violated the nationwide cease-fire, opposition forces claimed on Saturday.

Axar.az reports that, according to information gathered from sources at opposition front-line positions, since the truce came into force on Friday at midnight local time, the Syrian military and foreign pro-regime terrorist groups attacked 33 different locations.

Opposition fighters claimed they had started to respond, as the assaults had not stopped as of Friday.

Turkish officials are continuing efforts to ensure Russia prevents further breaches of the cease-fire, one security source who asked not to be named, told.

However, Turkey's defense minister said earlier on Saturday there had not been any violations so far which could "undermine" the cease-fire.

Fikri Isik's remarks came during his visit to Turkey's southeastern province of Sirnak, where he answered journalists' questions.

"We have to be very careful about this issue," Isik said. "We are watching every step along the way with the Russian Federation to make sure the cease-fire is permanent and [a] political solution paves the way for Syria's future."

A nationwide cease-fire in Syria took effect at midnight (2200GMT) Dec. 30, after a deal was brokered with Turkey, Russia and the government of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.

Syria has been locked in a devastating war since early 2011, when the Assad regime cracked down on pro-democracy protests -- which erupted as part of the Arab Spring uprisings -- with unexpected ferocity.S

Date
2017.01.01 / 11:45
Author
Axar.az
See also

Israel deports all foreign Sumud flotilla activists

Iran, US move closer to potential ceasefire deal

Lukashenko, Putin observe joint nuclear forces exercise

NATO chief reaffirms security commitment to Latvia

Turkish court suspends CHP leadership in major ruling

Syria to attend G7 summit in France as guest nation

UK summons Israeli chargé d’affaires over detainee video

Ukraine unveils Begemot strike UAV - Photo

WUF13 roundtable focuses on civil society and housing

Ukrainian army losses updated on 1,548th day of war

Latest
Xocalı soyqırımı — 1992-ci il Bağla
Bize yazin Bağla
ArxivBağla