UP

650 cars torched on New Year's Eve

Home page World
12 Punto 14 Punto 16 Punto 18 Punto
650 cars torched on New Year's Eve

The Interior Ministry has revealed just how busy France's emergency services were on New Year's Eve.

Axar.az reports that, New Year's Eve "went off without any major incident" but "saw some troubles with public order", the Interior Ministry has said in a statement.

Police arrested 454 people over the night, 301 of whom were taken into custody.

Meanwhile, in something of a tradition for the French, vandals torched a whopping 650 parked cars.

While the figure is worse than the 602 the year before, the ministry was quick to point out that there has been a 20 percent drop over the last five years.

A fire fighter in the eastern department of Ain was also hurt while trying to extinguish a car.

In Nice, where security was at a high following the terror attack on Bastille Day last year, two police officers were hurt when revellers threw objects at them.

Interior Minister Bruno le Roux said no attack on security would not be tolerated.

"I regret that once again there were too many instances of security forces being hit with projectiles, or met with aggression or insults," he said.

He thanked the tens of thousands of police and firefighters, however, adding that they "allowed December 31st to pass by particularly well".

Date
2017.01.02 / 19:59
Author
Axar.az
See also

Trump to deliver State of the Union address on Feb 24

Zuckerberg testifies in landmark social media trial

Israeli military enters Saysun and Masartiya in Syria

Merz rules out Germany acquiring nuclear weapons

Technical framework set for Ukraine ceasefire

Trump administration nears major war with Iran - Axios

Zelensky failed to provide resources for 2023 counteroffensive

Okamura: Czech Republic to halt arms supplies to Kyiv

Ukrainian losses updated on day 1,456 of war

Slovakia declares oil crisis over supply disruption

Latest
Xocalı soyqırımı — 1992-ci il Bağla
Bize yazin Bağla
ArxivBağla