UP

Israeli settlers storm Jerusalem’s Al-Aqsa complex

Home page World
12 Punto 14 Punto 16 Punto 18 Punto
Israeli settlers storm Jerusalem’s Al-Aqsa complex

Hundreds of Israeli settlers on Wednesday forced their way into East Jerusalem’s flashpoint Al-Aqsa Mosque compound, according to a Palestinian official.

Axar.az reports citing Anadolu news agency.

Firas al-Dibs, a spokesman for the Jerusalem Islamic Waqf, a Jordan-run organization responsible for overseeing the city’s Islamic sites, said some 708 settlers had stormed the complex through Al-Mugharbah gate.

“A number of mosque guards were wounded after they were assaulted by Israeli forces in the mosque’s courtyards” he told Anadolu Agency.

According to the spokesman, three other guards were arrested by Israeli forces.

Al-Dibs said the situation escalated in the complex after a group of settlers tried to perform a Talmudic rituals near the Al-Qibali mosque.

Earlier this week, Jewish extremist groups called on supporters to converge on Al-Aqsa complex on Wednesday to mark the 50th anniversary of Israel's occupation of East Jerusalem, which falls today according the Hebrew calendar.

For Muslims, Al-Aqsa represents the world's third holiest site. Jews, for their part, refer to the area as the "Temple Mount," claiming it was the site of two Jewish temples in ancient times.

Israel occupied East Jerusalem during the 1967 Middle East War. It later annexed the city in 1980, claiming it as the capital of the Jewish state in a move never recognized by the international community.

Date
2017.05.24 / 17:24
Author
Axar.az
See also

Okamura: Czech Republic to halt arms supplies to Kyiv

Ukrainian losses updated on day 1,456 of war

Slovakia declares oil crisis over supply disruption

Release of Russians is priority in Moscow-Baku contacts

Kremlin: Neither Russia nor China conducted nuclear tests

Russia takes control of two settlements

Turkiye to attend first Board of Peace meeting

UN experts: Epstein files may reveal crimes against humanity

Erdogan: Europe’s security cannot be built without Turkiye

Fireworks shop explosion kills 12 in central China

Latest
Xocalı soyqırımı — 1992-ci il Bağla
Bize yazin Bağla
ArxivBağla