UP

Baltimore mayor eyes removal of Confederate monuments

Home page World
12 Punto 14 Punto 16 Punto 18 Punto
Baltimore mayor eyes removal of Confederate monuments

Baltimore may follow "in the footsteps of New Orleans" and remove the city's Confederate monuments, the city's mayor says.

Axar.az reports citing CNN.

"The city does want to remove these," Catherine Pugh told reporters after a news conference on Friday. "We'll take a closer look at it and see how we go about the business of following in the footsteps of New Orleans."

Her remark comes just a week after New Orleans removed its fourth and final Confederate monument last week.

In a speech about the removal of the monuments, New Orleans Mayor Mitch Landrieu said they were landmarks that were not a true reflection of the city.

"To literally put the Confederacy on a pedestal in our more prominent places -- in honor -- is an inaccurate recitation of our full past, is an affront to our present and it is a bad prescription for our future," he said.

Date
2017.05.29 / 23:16
Author
Axar.az
See also

Yermak speaks to Western media after scandal

Trump backs off Thanksgiving deadline on Ukraine deal

Andriy Yermak's resignation due to U.S. pressure

Brantner: Trump is stabbing Ukrainians in the back

Tkachenko: Kyiv attack leaves 3 dead, 15 injured

Airbus recalls 6,000 A320s

Ukraine strikes Russian targets in Crimea

Trump nullifies Biden’s autopen documents

Trump holds phone call with Maduro

Macron: France must prepare for hybrid warfare

Latest
Xocalı soyqırımı — 1992-ci il Bağla
Bize yazin Bağla
ArxivBağla