UP

Israel forces arrest 2 Palestinians after Aqsa standoff

Home page World
12 Punto 14 Punto 16 Punto 18 Punto
Israel forces arrest 2 Palestinians after Aqsa standoff

Israeli police arrested two people after a standoff at Jerusalem's flashpoint Al-Aqsa mosque on Sunday, Israeli police said, as tension remains high following a deadly attack days earlier.

Axar.az reports citing AA.

The mosque's managers, the Jordanian-controlled Islamic Waqf, said hardline Israelis entered the compound under a heavy police presence.

Firas Dibs, the Waqf's spokesman, said 69 Israelis entered with guards, who spread across the religious site's courtyards.

They also lined the threshold of the main mosque, where hundreds of worshippers had been stayed overnight for special prayers during the Islamic holy month of Ramadan.

Police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld said in a statement that two people were arrested for attacking police officers, who were lightly injured during the incident.

Tension has been high in Jerusalem since a female Israeli police officer was killed on Friday after an alleged coordinated stabbing by three Palestinians from the West Bank, who were all shot dead.

The main road outside Jerusalem's Old City used by Palestinians was closed to traffic on Saturday and 350 Palestinians from the West Bank were sent back after police raids across Palestinian neighborhoods in East Jerusalem.

The daily visits for non-Muslims, which include tourists, are rejected by the Waqf, which says they were resumed by the Israel government in 2003 without their coordination.

The visits were suspended when the Second Intifada began in 2000 but beforehand the Waqf had facilitated tours of the courtyard and allowed non-Muslims to enter the mosque themselves.

They accuse the Israeli government of forcing a change in the "status quo" -- the balance of prayer and visiting rights at the site.

The site is considered holy by both Muslims and Jews, who call it the Temple Mount and believe an ancient Jewish Temple lies underneath.

Mainstream Judaism bans entering the site but some hardline groups advocate visiting, as well as the construction of a new temple.

Date
2017.06.18 / 14:59
Author
Axar.az
See also

Germany urges citizens to leave Iran over potential US strike

Hungary blocks €90bn EU loan to Ukraine

US strikes on Iran could target individual leaders

Two killed in attack on Russia’s Belgorod region

Supreme Court strikes down most of Trump's tariffs

US jets intercept Russian planes near Alaska

Saudi Crown Prince hints at bomb if Iran goes nuclear

Trump says he is considering limited military strike on Iran

Iran to submit draft proposal in days, says Araghchi

Ukrainian losses updated on the 1,458th day of the war

Latest
Xocalı soyqırımı — 1992-ci il Bağla
Bize yazin Bağla
ArxivBağla