UP

Ecuador earthquake of 7.8 magnitude kills dozens

Home page World
12 Punto 14 Punto 16 Punto 18 Punto
Ecuador earthquake of 7.8 magnitude kills dozens

A powerful 7.8-magnitude earthquake in Ecuador has killed at least 77 people and injured more than 500, Vice-President Jorge Glas says, according to BBC.

The quake struck at 18:58 local time on Saturday (23:58 GMT) near the northern coastal town of Muisne.

Widespread severe damage is reported, with a bridge destroyed as far south as Guayaquil about 300km (190 miles) away.

A state of emergency has been declared in six provinces and the National Guard has been mobilised.

The quake, the country's largest in decades, also shook buildings in the capital, Quito.

Mr Glas said that at least 77 people had died and 588 had been injured, adding that the figures could rise as a number of affected areas had not yet been reached.

The US Geological Survey said the earthquake struck at a fairly shallow depth of 19.2km (11.9 miles), about 27km from Muisne in a sparsely populated area.

Date
2016.04.17 / 11:19
Author
Axar.az
See also

France bans Ben-Gvir over flotilla incident

CENTCOM redirects 100 ships in Iran blockade

Trump shares map showing Iran in US flag colors - Photo

Trump says he's '50/50' on Iran deal or bombs

Cholera outbreak worsens in Sudan’s West Kordofan

Kilicdaroglu promises return to CHP founding principles

Ukrainian military losses updated on day 1550

Pashinyan: I will leave if people decide I should go

US and Iran report progress on talks ending the war

18 killed in attack on Starobilsk college - Video

Latest
Xocalı soyqırımı — 1992-ci il Bağla
Bize yazin Bağla
ArxivBağla