Axar.az
UP

“Turkey disbands presidential guard after post-coup detentions”

Home page World
12 Punto 14 Punto 16 Punto 18 Punto

The Turkish authorities disbands the elite presidential guard after detaining almost 300 of its members in the wake of the failed coup, Prime Minister Binali Yildirim said on Saturday.


"We have taken a decision. There will no longer be a presidential guard, there is no purpose, there is no need," Yildirim said, speaking to A Haber channel.

Members of the guard were part of a group that entered the state broadcaster TRT during the coup, Yildirim said. The group forced a presenter to read a statement declaring martial law and a curfew last week.


The presidential guard is a regiment numbering up to 2,500 people but at least 283 of its members had been detained after the coup in Ankara.


Yildirim added that 13,002 people had been detained. Among those were 1,329 police officers, 8,831 soldiers, 2,100 judges and prosecutors and 689 civilians.

He added that 5,837 had been remanded in custody including 3,718 soldiers and 123 generals.

Date
2016.07.24 / 09:59
Author
Axar.az
Comments
See also

The storm swept these three countries

Travel and mask rules tightened over Omicron variant

Russia's ally in the region is Azerbaijan - Petrov

Slovak equipment is moving on the border with Russia - Video

Berdimuhamedov awarded Erdogan with highest order - Photo

Thousands of Russian soldiers are on the border - Stoltenberg

Iranian president Raisi to fly to Turkmenistan

That is the West's goal for Belarus, Zakharova

From UN Secretary General to the Sochi meeting - Reaction

5 billion agreement between Erdogan and Berdimuhamedov

Latest
Xocalı soyqırımı — 1992-ci il Bağla
Bize yazin Bağla
ArxivBağla