|Home page World|
A 22-year-old suicide bomber was behind Sunday’s massacre at Cairo’s Coptic Christian Cathedral complex, Egypt’s President said on Monday.
Axar.az informs, Abdel Fattah al-Sisi, attending a state funeral for the 24 victims, said Mahmoud Shafik Mohamed Mostafa was responsible for the carnage. No-one has claimed responsibility but ISIL supporters have been celebrating on social media.
“What is happening is frustration from their side,” he told mourners. “They have been trying to break us for the last three years but they can’t – hitting our economy and with a wave of terrorist acts but they know that nothing will break us.”
He said three men and a woman had been detained over the attack and that two more people were being sought. While dismissing accusations of a security failure, Sisi called for tighter anti-terrorism laws. Copts have been targeted repeatedly by Islamist militants but Sunday’s attack, in which mainly women and children were killed, was the deadliest on Egypt’s Christian minority in years.
2016.12.12 / 22:44