Axar.az
UP
17 October 2018


Rebel groups are threatening to ceasefire

Home page World
12 Punto 14 Punto 16 Punto 18 Punto

With violence persisting in some parts of Syria, rebel groups are threatening to declare the latest ceasefire “null and void” unless attacks stop.

Axar.az reports that, clashes and air strikes have continued in places since the ceasefire began on Friday, although the UK-based war monitor, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, says the truce is largely holding.

“Continued violations by the regime and bombardment and attempts to attack areas under the control of the revolutionary factions will make the agreement null and void,” a statement signed by a number of rebel groups said on Saturday.

It said government forces and their allies had been trying to press advances, particularly in an area northwest of Damascus.

Russia, which supports Syrian President Assad, brokered the ceasefire with Turkey which backs armed opposition to Assad. The truce is aimed at preparing the way for peace talks in the new year.

There has been confusion over which groups in the opposition are included in the ceasefire although it definitely does not apply to ISIL, which has made enemies of all sides in the conflict.

In war-shattered Aleppo, one immediate concern is water. People are being forced to use public wells, complaining that ISIL has cut the main supplies to the formerly rebel-held east of the city.

“ISIL cut the water in Aleppo,” said one man.

“They cut drinking water. They deprived us of life and everything. We don’t have anything and it is all because of them – ISIL.

Date
2016.12.31 / 18:17
Author
Axar.az
Comments
See also

Greek Foreign Affairs minister Nikos Kotzias resigns

Saakashvili ordered the billionaire's death

Canada legalizes recreational marijuana

UK model dies for fun

Israeli jets attack targets in Gaza

Georgian President opposes production of marijuana

UN calls for immunity lift on Saudi Consulate officials

Russian Church breaks ties with Istanbul Patriarchate

Militants kidnap 14 servicemen in Iran

Saudi authorities preparing report on Jamal's death

Latest
 
Xocalı soyqırımı — 1992-ci il Bağla
Bize yazin Bağla
ArxivBağla