|Home page World|
Moscow reserves the right to respond to EU anti-Russia sanctions extension over the Siemens turbines scandal, the Russian Foreign Ministry said in a statement on Friday.
Axar.az reports citing TASS.
Earlier in the day, the EU imposed additional sanctions on Moscow over a scandal surrounding the transfer of turbines supplied by German company Siemens to the Russian peninsula of Crimea in violation of previous Brussels' sanctions. The EU added three Russian nationals and three companies to its sanctions list over the issue.
"We consider the reasons behind the adoption of new restrictive measures toward our country [Russia] as absolutely unsubstantiated and reserve the right to rateliate," the Foreign Ministry said.
The Russian Foreign Ministry said that Moscow considers the EU and the German government as those responsible for the decision of the sanctions' extension, adding that Russia regrets that such an unfriendly step toward the country has been taken.
"Brussels' decision to add several Russian officials and companies to the EU sanctions list as a response measure to an alleged 'illegitimate' supply Siemens concern's gas turbines to Crimea causes deep regret. We consider this step undertaken on the initiative of Berlin as unfriendly and unjustified," the statement by the Foreign Ministry said.
The ministry added that it seems that Berlin has started to expand the interpretation of sanctions restrictions "directly contradicting both the international law and the principles of international relations in general."
"The EU and the German government will be fully resposible for this decision, including for possible expenses of Siemens and other German and European companies working in Russia."
2017.08.04 / 21:14