UP

Egypt busts organ trading racket

Home page World
12 Punto 14 Punto 16 Punto 18 Punto
Egypt busts organ trading racket

Egypt has uncovered a network accused of illicit international trafficking in human organs, arresting 45 people and recovering millions of dollars in a dawn raid on Tuesday, the health ministry said.

Among those held were doctors, nurses, middlemen and organ-buyers, involved in what the ministry described as the largest organ-trafficking network exposed in Egypt to date.

"The accused who were arrested exploited the economic situation of some Egyptians and the suffering of some patients and their need for treatment to take large financial sums from them, thus breaking the law," the ministry said in a statement.

It said the investigation, which involved the Health Ministry and Administrative Control Authority, a powerful anti-corruption body, focused on a group of private hospitals and health centers, both licensed and unlicensed, where transplants and organ harvesting took place.

It said those premises had been shut by authorities while doctors involved were suspended from practice pending investigation by public prosecutors.

Some of the doctors arrested worked at well-known institutions including the medical faculties of Cairo and Ain Shams universities -- Egypt's two largest state universities.

The statement did not give any details about the amount of money recovered or the magnitude of the trade. It was not immediately possible to identify or reach the doctors and others arrested in the government crackdown.

Organ purchase is banned in Egypt, but poverty drives some Egyptians to sell body parts, often to wealthy foreigners, in illicit transactions.

Media reports have emerged this year of organ traders targeting African migrants desperate for money to pay their way to Europe on rickety boats. Reuters has not been able to verify those reports.

Date
2016.12.06 / 17:12
Author
Axar.az
See also

Trump: Reaching Iran deal 'totally up to me'

Slovenia’s parliament approves Janez Jansa as PM

Von der Leyen: Terror against civilians is despair

Iran claims it downed an Israeli surveillance drone

Building collapse in Philippines kills one, 20 trapped

Macron and Lukashenko hold phone talks

Saudi Defense Ministry boosts security for Hajj season - Video

Bahrain jails nine for life over IRGC links

Pezeshkian reiterates no compromise on national dignity

Ozel and his supporters removed from CHP headquarters - Video

Latest
Xocalı soyqırımı — 1992-ci il Bağla
Bize yazin Bağla
ArxivBağla