|Home page World|
Turkey has moved to condemn a deadly terror attack at a pop concert in the U.K. which police said claimed 22 lives.
Axar.az reports citing Anadolu Agency, Monday’s blast at the 21,000-seat Manchester Arena took place shortly before 10.35 p.m. (2135GMT) local time.
Police said 22 people died and 59 were injured. One man is thought to have detonated an explosive device, but died at the scene.
The arena had been hosting a concert by U.S. pop star Ariana Grande; thousands of children and young teenagers were among the crowd.
President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said he "strongly condemned" the attack during a speech at Istanbul University.
"We share the grief of the British government and its people," Erdogan said. "Like every country, I would like to stress that we stand with Britain in the fight against terrorism."
Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu tweeted on Tuesday: "I condemn the terrorist attack in Manchester. Sincere condolences to the British Government and... people."
The Foreign Ministry said it offered “sincere condolences to the people of the United Kingdom” describing it as a country “which knows and feels the brutality of these inhumane and cowardly attacks".
It added: "We will continue our dedicated and efficient fight against terrorism, to eradicate this menace with our ally the United Kingdom.
“This will be the best answer to the cowardly attack in Manchester."
Turkey's EU Affairs Minister Omer Celik has also used Twitter to share his thoughts on the attack
"Those who kill innocent people are the common enemy of humanity," Celik said. "Terror has no country, race, religion or language. We will continue to fight against this atrocity."
2017.05.23 / 14:59