Axar.az
UP
11 August 2020


Mark Esper arrived in Afghanistan

Home page World
12 Punto 14 Punto 16 Punto 18 Punto

U.S. Defense Secretary Mark Esper arrived in Afghanistan on Sunday in a bid to bring talks with the Taliban back on track after President Donald Trump abruptly broke off negotiations last month seeking to end the United States’ longest war.

Axar.az reports referring to Reuters.

Esper’s trip to Kabul comes amid questions about the United States’ commitments to allies after a sudden withdrawal of U.S. troops from northeastern Syria and Trump’s long-time desire to get out of foreign engagements.

“The aim is to still get a peace agreement at some point, a political agreement. That is the best way forward,” Esper told reporters traveling with him to Afghanistan. He is due to meet President Ashraf Ghani and U.S. troops while in Afghanistan.

“I hope we can move forward and come up with a political agreement that meets our ends and meets the goals we want to achieve,” Esper said, adding that talks were in the State Department’s domain.

He added that the United States could go down to about 8,600 troops, from the current 14,000, without affecting counter-terrorism operations, if needed.

Trump halted talks with the Taliban, aimed at striking a deal for U.S. and other foreign troops to withdraw in exchange for Taliban security guarantees, after it carried out a bomb attack in Kabul last month that killed 12 people, including a U.S. soldier.

The United States says it has increased the pace of operations against militants in Afghanistan since Trump walked away from talks with the Taliban.

“U.S. policy in Afghanistan is so confused right now because on the one hand we’re hearing the messaging from Washington and particularly Trump about our endless wars, that it could be time to leave sooner or later,” said Michael Kugelman, senior associate for South Asia at the Wilson Center think-tank.

“On the other hand, you have U.S. military forces stepping up their pressure on the Taliban in more intense ways than ever before,” Kugelman said.

Date
2019.10.20 / 22:57
Author
Axar.az
Comments
See also

Maas goes to Lebanon: Reforms must be carried out...

Army took control of central Beirut - Updated

Resignation of the Lebanese government was accepted - Updated

Iran intends to return this money - Zarif

UN to support Lebanon in 'every possible way': Guterres

Greece has shown that it is not honest - Aksoy

Iran reports 189 more fatalities

The third minister also resigned In Lebanon

Kadyrov wrote about Lukashenko

EU may impose sanctions on Belarus

Latest
 
Xocalı soyqırımı — 1992-ci il Bağla
Bize yazin Bağla
ArxivBağla