UP

UK to need 3,000 extra border officers after Brexit

Home page World
12 Punto 14 Punto 16 Punto 18 Punto
UK to need 3,000 extra border officers after Brexit

Britain says it will need as many as 3,000 extra border patrol officers to stop illegal migrants from entering the country after the UK withdraws from the European Union.

Axar.az reports citing Press TV.

General Secretary of the UK Borders, Immigration and Customs Union Luce Moreton made the announcement in an interview with the Sun daily newspaper on Thursday, noting that “Britain's borders aren't secure.”

“We don’t have enough staff to respond to all the small vessels spotted. We don’t have enough cutters to intercept small vessels at sea,” Moreton said. “We don’t have enough people to respond when there are lorry drops. More often than not we can’t get there.”

The revelation comes as budget spending on border force has shrunk by an astounding 100 million pounds since 2012, with the number of people getting into Britain illegally having increased by 12 million in the same period.

The budget cut also led to the resignation of 300 out of 7,900 officers last year, leaving all British airports and terminal reportedly short of staff to monitor arrivals.

Curbing mass immigration from the bloc under freedom of movement rules was a major reason why many Britons voted to leave the EU last year.

On June 23, 2016, some 52 percent (17.4 million) of British people voted to leave the EU after 43 years of membership.

The Brexit vote result caused political turmoil in Britain and sent economic shockwaves through the country. The pound fell to its lowest level in 31 years, around $1.3120, its lowest level since mid-1985. Nearly $3 trillion was also wiped off the value of world stocks.

Date
2017.08.04 / 22:59
Author
Axar.az
See also

Trump to deliver State of the Union address on Feb 24

Zuckerberg testifies in landmark social media trial

Israeli military enters Saysun and Masartiya in Syria

Merz rules out Germany acquiring nuclear weapons

Technical framework set for Ukraine ceasefire

Trump administration nears major war with Iran - Axios

Zelensky failed to provide resources for 2023 counteroffensive

Okamura: Czech Republic to halt arms supplies to Kyiv

Ukrainian losses updated on day 1,456 of war

Slovakia declares oil crisis over supply disruption

Latest
Xocalı soyqırımı — 1992-ci il Bağla
Bize yazin Bağla
ArxivBağla