19 March 2018

Iran ready to assist in Karabakh conflict settlement

Home page World
12 Punto 14 Punto 16 Punto 18 Punto

The continuation of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict will broaden the insecurity that has already covered the area, Jaber Ansari, spokesman for the Iranian foreign ministry, said at a press-conference in Tehran April 25, Trend's correspondent reported.

He added that Iran has announced readiness to render any assistance to both countries.

"If two conflicting sides make any request to Iran, we will play a more active role to resolve the conflict," he said.

Ansari said that as long as the sides have not urged Iran to render assistance, we will do everything possible through international procedures to be accepted by both countries.

The conflict between the two South Caucasus countries began in 1988 when Armenia made territorial claims against Azerbaijan. As a result of the ensuing war, in 1992 Armenian armed forces occupied 20 percent of Azerbaijan, including the Nagorno-Karabakh region and seven surrounding districts. The 1994 ceasefire agreement was followed by peace negotiations.

Armenia has not yet implemented four UN Security Council resolutions on withdrawal of its armed forces from the Nagorno-Karabakh and the surrounding districts.

2016.04.25 / 13:32
See also

US caught evacuating more Daesh leaders

Turkey to continue anti-terror ops after Afrin's liberation

Putin pledges to focus on national defense

Turkey not yet completed Operation Olive Branch

Forest fire kills 17 in India

Police found no signs of forcible entry into Glushkov's house

Putin: UK claims over ex-spy poisoning ‘nonsense’

London will either have to prove Skripal case or apologize

Russian diplomats expelled from UK to fly out of London Tuesday

21 terrorists 'neutralized' across Turkey in last week

Xocalı soyqırımı — 1992-ci il Bağla
Bize yazin Bağla