UP

French mayor bans food distribution among refugees

Home page World
12 Punto 14 Punto 16 Punto 18 Punto
French mayor bans food distribution among refugees

The mayor of the northern French city of Calais has banned local aid groups from providing food to the refugees gathering at the site of a former camp in the hope of crossing to the United Kingdom.

Mayor Natacha Bouchart on Thursday issued a warning to local charities to stop food distribution among the refugees, citing concerns over “peace and security,” local newspaper La Voix du Nord reported. Bouchart also said she issued the ban to prevent the accumulation of refugees and the formation of new camps in the area.

Back in October last year, French authorities completely demolished the camp that used to exist at the site, known as the Jungle, near the Channel Tunnel — the undersea passage into the UK. They resettled the residents in centers throughout the country, where their applications for asylum in the UK and France were expected to be processed.

The refugees, who used to live in appalling conditions in tents and temporary shelters at the camp, however, are still returning to the area to find a way to continue their journey to Britain. New refugees, fleeing war or poverty, also continue to arrive in Calais.

Posters explaining the new rules were seen around the area, but local aid groups said they would continue to feed people and vowed to fight the new regulations.

Date
2017.03.03 / 13:48
Author
Axar.az
See also

Trump backs off Thanksgiving deadline on Ukraine deal

Andriy Yermak's resignation due to U.S. pressure

Brantner: Trump is stabbing Ukrainians in the back

Tkachenko: Kyiv attack leaves 3 dead, 15 injured

Airbus recalls 6,000 A320s

Ukraine strikes Russian targets in Crimea

Trump nullifies Biden’s autopen documents

Trump holds phone call with Maduro

Macron: France must prepare for hybrid warfare

Hezbollah vows response to Israel

Latest
Xocalı soyqırımı — 1992-ci il Bağla
Bize yazin Bağla
ArxivBağla