UP

Iraqi forces mop up ISIS holdouts in Nineveh province

Home page World
12 Punto 14 Punto 16 Punto 18 Punto
Iraqi forces mop up ISIS holdouts in Nineveh province

Iraqi forces have cleared roughly five square kilometers of territory in Iraq’s northern Nineveh province of ISIS terrorists, an Iraqi police source said Monday.

Axar.az reports citing Anadolu Agency.

“For the fourth day in a row, joint forces from the army, police and Hashd al-Shaabi are carrying out military operations in Nineveh’s desert region,” Police Brigadier-General Jawad al-Alusi told Anadolu Agency.

The operations have so far left 19 ISIS terrorists dead and 10 new areas “liberated”, while the road linking the Nineveh desert to Kirkuk’s Hawija district was also brought under control, according to al-Alusi.

The police officer added that 33 ISIS “hideouts” and 14 tunnels used by the terrorist group had been destroyed.

Operations, he said, would remain underway until the ISIS presence near the Syrian border was eliminated, the officer added.

ISIS has recently suffered a string of crushing defeats in both Iraq and Syria after overrunning vast swathes of territory in both countries in mid-2014.

Date
2017.11.27 / 16:12
Author
Axar.az
See also

Two killed in attack on Russia’s Belgorod region

Supreme Court strikes down most of Trump's tariffs

US jets intercept Russian planes near Alaska

Saudi Crown Prince hints at bomb if Iran goes nuclear

Trump says he is considering limited military strike on Iran

Iran to submit draft proposal in days, says Araghchi

Ukrainian losses updated on the 1,458th day of the war

Europe’s main military powers to develop low-cost air-defense

UN says it risks halting Somalia aid due to funding cuts

Japanese leader Takaichi warns of China 'coercion'

Latest
Xocalı soyqırımı — 1992-ci il Bağla
Bize yazin Bağla
ArxivBağla