UP

State Department orders to leave Iraq

Home page World
12 Punto 14 Punto 16 Punto 18 Punto
State Department orders to leave Iraq

The order comes just a day after the US Central Command stated that the coalition forces in Iraq had been put on "a high level of alert" due to possible imminent threats to them.

Axar.az reports citing Sputnik.

The US State Department ordered the departure of "non-emergency government employees" on Wednesday, the embassy in Baghdad said in a statement, recommending those affected "depart by commercial transportation as soon as possible".

"Normal visa services at both posts [the embassy in Baghdad and consulate in Erbil] will be temporarily suspended. The US government has limited ability to provide emergency services to US citizens in Iraq", the diplomats said.

Washington earlier increased its military presence in the Middle Eastern region amid growing tensions with Iran, sending an aircraft carrier strike group to the Persian Gulf.

Despite this the US-led coalition's deputy commander, British Maj. Gen. Christopher Ghika noted earlier this week that the threat level by Iranian-backed groups against coalition forces in Iraq has not risen recently.

Date
2019.05.15 / 12:53
Author
Axar.az
See also

Trump: Iran will not make deal he considers necessary

Fidan, Araghchi discuss Hormuz talks and ceasefire

Ukraine recapture Andriivka-Klevtsove settlements

Trump says Kim Jong Un open to talks with US

Helicopter crash on Greek island of Sifnos kills three

Israel, Board of Peace to establish two Gaza working groups

Russia struck two cargo vessels in Ukrainian ports

IRGC denies talks with US, calls Trump's claim lie

5.4-magnitude earthquake strikes off Kamchatka coast

Armed men seize vessel off the coast of Somalia

Latest
Xocalı soyqırımı — 1992-ci il Bağla
Bize yazin Bağla
ArxivBağla