Axar.az
UP
21 April 2018


Italy convicts Tunisian over killing 700 migrants

Home page World
12 Punto 14 Punto 16 Punto 18 Punto

A Tunisian man accused of captaining a migrant boat that sank in 2015 killing almost 700 people was found guilty of multiple manslaughter on Tuesday by an Italian court and sentenced to 18 years in jail.

Axar.az informs, Mohammed Ali Malek, 28, had denied being the boat's captain, saying he had paid for passage like everyone else on the small wooden fishing vessel that capsized in April 2015 off the coast of Libya, trapping hundreds of people in the ship's hull.

The court in the Sicilian city of Catania also sentenced 26-year-old Syrian Mahmud Bikhit to five years in prison. Survivors said Bikhit was Malek's cabin boy. He had denied any wrongdoing. Both men were handed fines of nine million euros ($9.5 million) each.

Only 28 people survived the disaster, while the remains of 675 victims were recovered from the wreck, with the boat itself raised to the surface earlier this year by the Italian navy.

Date
2016.12.13 / 18:59
Author
Axar.az
Comments
See also

Corbyn calls for peace in Syria as new Cold War looms

Police haul off 62 opposition activists in Yerevan

Topic of discussion can only be PM Sargsyan’s resignation

US ready to strike Syria again if Assad ignores message

Abe lauds North Korea move to end nuclear tests

Iran "ready" to resume nuke program if US leaves deal

Israeli troops kill four Palestinians in border protest

Trump, Macron to discuss Iran nuclear deal next week

North Korea says will stop nuclear tests, scrap test site

Russia calls for greater UN presence in Syria

Latest
 
Xocalı soyqırımı — 1992-ci il Bağla
Bize yazin Bağla
ArxivBağla