UP

Niger frees 15 accused of complicity in coup attempt

Home page Politics
12 Punto 14 Punto 16 Punto 18 Punto
Niger frees 15 accused of complicity in coup attempt

A court in Niger has freed fifteen civilians accused of complicity in an attempted putsch against President Mahamadou Issoufou, their lawyer said on Saturday.

In December 2015, the government said it had foiled a coup and arrested people who planned to use aerial firepower to seize control of the West African country, a major Uranium producer and Western ally in the fight against Islamists in the Sahara.

The fifteen were freed on Friday. Nine military officers including the alleged ringleader General Salou Souleymane, are still behind bars awaiting trial.

"From the start we were convinced our clients are innocent," lawyer Ali Kadri said on private local TV station Bonferey. "There was no (evidence) ... to suggest that they were implicated in this affair," he said.

Issoufou was elected in 2011, one year after a coup. He was re-elected in February last year with 92.5 percent of the vote after the opposition coalition boycotted the polls.

Date
2017.03.25 / 17:14
Author
Axar.az
See also

Hikmet Hajiyev shares Euronews report on WUF13

'Baku Declaration' signed by NGOs from 103 countries

WUF13 adopts 'Baku Call to Action'

Kim Jong Un Sends Independence Day Message to Aliyev

Jeyhun Bayramov meets with UNCTAD secretary-general

Asadov meets Turkmenistan president in Ashgabat

Germany ready to spend 5% of GDP on defense

Bayramov meets UN Deputy Secretary-General

Seventh EU-Azerbaijan Security Dialogue held in Baku

Ali Asadov arrives in Turkmenistan for CIS meeting

Latest
Xocalı soyqırımı — 1992-ci il Bağla
Bize yazin Bağla
ArxivBağla