UP

British police to continue protection of London mosques

Home page Politics
12 Punto 14 Punto 16 Punto 18 Punto
British police to continue protection of London mosques

British police will continue to protect mosques in London during Friday prayers and keep a communicative approach with faith leaders, a Metropolitan Police commander said Thursday.

Axar.az reports citing foreign media.

“Our thoughts throughout the week have been with all those affected by the attacks in New Zealand and I’m proud that the reaction of Londoners has once again been to stand together in the face of this display of extremism, hate and terrorism,” Commander Marc McEwan said in a statement.

McEwan underlined that “since the terror attack in New Zealand last week the Met Police has been working closely with local Muslim communities, faith leaders and with partners to provide reassurance via increased patrols, regular engagement, and providing security advice.”

Police teams in London protected mosques last week during Friday prayers after mayor Sadiq Khan’s order following the deadly terror attack in two mosques in New Zealand.

“This approach will continue tomorrow as well as over the week ahead with policing tailored in response to local community concerns and needs,” McEwan said.

“This has specifically taken into account Friday prayers and vigils in response to the attack in New Zealand,” he said, adding: “There continues to be no intelligence linking the appalling events in Christchurch with the U.K., however we understand how some people will be feeling concerned and vulnerable.”

“The Met’s absolute priority is to keep the public safe,” he said.

Five mosques have been vandalised as their windows were broken overnight and Thursday morning, according to a statement from British police.

The latest Islamophobic vandalism targeting various mosques in the English city of Birmingham is “deeply concerning”, British Home Secretary Sajid Javid said on Thursday.

Date
2019.03.21 / 23:36
Author
Axar.az
See also

Hikmet Hajiyev shares Euronews report on WUF13

'Baku Declaration' signed by NGOs from 103 countries

WUF13 adopts 'Baku Call to Action'

Kim Jong Un Sends Independence Day Message to Aliyev

Jeyhun Bayramov meets with UNCTAD secretary-general

Asadov meets Turkmenistan president in Ashgabat

Germany ready to spend 5% of GDP on defense

Bayramov meets UN Deputy Secretary-General

Seventh EU-Azerbaijan Security Dialogue held in Baku

Ali Asadov arrives in Turkmenistan for CIS meeting

Latest
Xocalı soyqırımı — 1992-ci il Bağla
Bize yazin Bağla
ArxivBağla