UP

France seeks to extend state of emergency until July

Home page World
12 Punto 14 Punto 16 Punto 18 Punto
France seeks to extend state of emergency until July

The French government will propose extending the country's state of emergency until July 15, 2017 due to presidential and parliament elections in spring next year, Prime Minister Bernard Cazeneuve said on Saturday.

The socialist government imposed the state of emergency - which gives police extended powers to search and arrest - in November last year following the attacks on Paris.

The extension needs to be approved by parliament, which will debate the proposal on Tuesday. The senate will review it on Thursday.
The state of emergency, which was set to end in mid-January, has already been extended four times as the government considers that the risk of armed attacks by Islamist militants remains high.

France will hold presidential elections in April-May, followed by parliament elections in June.

The state of emergency is criticised by some as at best inefficient and at worst an infringement of civil rights.

Date
2016.12.10 / 16:59
Author
Axar.az
See also

U.S. Marines board Iranian-flagged tanker in Gulf of Oman

Russia to restrict flower imports from Armenia

Bulgarian president visits Sumgayit Industrial Park

Erdogan and Trump hold talks on regional issues

France summons Israeli envoy over flotilla incident

Italy summons Israeli ambassador over flotilla treatment

US unseals charges against Raul Castro

Shoigu says Armenia took unfriendly steps toward Russia

Iran vows strong response to any new aggression

Kupiansk remains under Ukrainian control

Latest
Xocalı soyqırımı — 1992-ci il Bağla
Bize yazin Bağla
ArxivBağla