UP

Hungary says EU lied to Turkey over refugee deal

Home page World
12 Punto 14 Punto 16 Punto 18 Punto
Hungary says EU lied to Turkey over refugee deal

The EU lied to Turkey in last year’s deal on refugees, Foreign Minister Peter Szijjarto said Thursday.

Axar.az reports that, the agreement, which came into effect last March, promised Turkey its nationals would get visa-free travel within the Schengen area, accelerated accession to the union and 6 billion euros ($6.8 billion) in return for helping stem the flow of refugees to Europe.

Speaking at a news conference on the EU-Turkey deal, Szijjarto said: “The European Commission told a lie to Turkey that the refugee issue and visa-free travel would be done simultaneously.”

A year later, Turkey has received 677 million euros ($716 million) to help support refugees within its borders while EU accession and visa-free travel seem as distant as ever.

Earlier this week, Ankara said the deal could be reconsidered because of the EU’s failure to deliver visa-free travel.

“There is no fault from Turkish side,” Szijjarto, whose country is a member of the EU and NATO, said. “Brussels is completely guilty.”

He added that European leaders jumped at the opportunity to criticize Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan after the deal was signed.

“This is a very big mistake,” he said.

Szijjarto called on the EU to keep its word. “Bureaucrats in Brussels should not harm the deal and put Europe’s security in danger,” he said.

Hungary sits on the Balkans route for refugees trying to reach northern and western Europe and has come under fire for its treatment of refugees -- building razor wire fences on its southern frontier and using tear gas and water cannon against them

Date
2017.03.16 / 23:19
Author
Axar.az
See also

Mango scion released on bail after arrest over father's death

Ushakov signals possible Putin-Trump meeting in China

Israel’s parliament takes first step toward dissolution

Armenia not take any abrupt actions in relations with Russia

Moscow rejects claims of Russian campaign against Pashinyan

Ukraine hits Russian refinery for second time in week - Video

Meloni shares gift from Modi on social media - Video

Araghchi: Our Armed Forces 1st to strike down a touted F-35

San Diego mosque attack livestreamed by gunmen - Video

Ryazan oil refinery halted output after drone attack

Latest
Xocalı soyqırımı — 1992-ci il Bağla
Bize yazin Bağla
ArxivBağla