UP

South Sudan rebels claim deadly highway attack

Home page World
12 Punto 14 Punto 16 Punto 18 Punto
South Sudan rebels claim deadly highway attack

Rebels loyal to former Vice President Riek Machar said on Friday it carried out Thursday's ambush near the capital that killed 14 people -- including 2 soldiers -- and injured scores of others.

Axar.az reports citing Anadolu Agency.

Vehicles carrying civilians and military escorts came under attack on Juba-Nimule road in Moli, 70 kilometers (43 miles) from the capital, Juba.

“SPLA-IO takes the responsibility for the ambush; this is our response to the constant attacks on our bases and false claims that we are joining a national dialogue,” the rebels spokesman, Lam Paul Gabriel, said in a statement.

He said they were targeting government troops, who were escorting civilians’ vehicles.

“SPLA-IO regrets the loss of civilians’ lives,” he added.

South Sudan, the world’s youngest nation, has been blighted by over three years of civil war ignited by a brutal power struggle between President Salva Kiir and his sacked deputy Machar in 2013.

Similar attacks in the country’s northeastern Jonglei state claimed more than 30 lives last month.

Date
2017.06.09 / 22:39
Author
Axar.az
See also

France Télévisions evacuated over bomb threat

Iran launched missile strike on Iraqi Kurdistan

US envoy: Customs relief instead of Tomahawks

Damaged VİRAT tanker heading to Turkiye

Times: EU leaders blocking Ukraine peace

Ozgur Ozel secures fourth term as CHP leader

Technical problem grounded Pope Leo XIV’s aircraft

Protest near Erbil oil refinery leaves two dead

Orban opens doors for energy deals with Russia

Floods and landslides kill 303 in Sumatra

Latest
Xocalı soyqırımı — 1992-ci il Bağla
Bize yazin Bağla
ArxivBağla